Thursday, September 22, 2011

Would it be good to start adding veggies to my pets meals?

I have a 3 month old mix (pug/beagle) she will do ANYTHING for a carrot or an apple. Would it be OK if I started adding some veggies to her meals? If so would you recommend it? How much and what kinds? Also if there's anything else you add into your pets food that you want to share, please do! Thanks!|||Make sure the vegetables are either finely pureed or cooked- dogs cannot break down the walls of cellulose when the veggies are raw, so the veggies need to be pureed/cooked to break down cellulose.





Onions and garlic can be toxic, so avoid feeding those.





Keep in mind that dogs are carnivores, not omnivores- they technically do not need vegetables. However, some dogs just seem to like them. My dog likes apples.





I would not make the vegetables a significant part of his diet- no more than 5% at the most. If you feed your dog kibble, it should already contain vegetables. I personally wouldn't feed vegetables as anything more than treats.|||Doesn't hurt one bit :)





Just add a little less then 1/3 of a cup of the chopped goods once in a while!





You can safely add green beans, apples (no cores, no seeds), carrots, blueberries, sweet potato, cottage cheese or yogurt (both plain and fat free), broccoli stems, peas, pears, etc....





P.S. I only use fruits and veggies as 'treats' for my dogs. I do occasionally add yogurt and cottage cheese to their food.|||It's fine. Apples, carrots, green beans, berries, etc., are all fine for dogs to have.





I prefer to use fruits/vegetables as treats, but it's your preference if you want to put them in the food or whatnot.





Also, I wouldn't recommend doing it every single time. She could get to expect it and not eat her food without it. But several times a week is fine.





My dog loves to have a bit of sardine (canned in water) added to her food occasionally.


.|||My 4 dogs, 3 Labs and a BC get veggies with every meal. They also get baby carrots as a treat. I also feed them mackerel twice a week mixed with their food. Either buy no salt added veggies in a can or get the frozen kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment