Thursday, September 22, 2011

How did your pets react to your newborn?

I have two female spayed cats that rule the house. The other day my SIL brought her puppy (it is a puggle that is the size of a guinea pig) and they freaked out until hours after they left. I am kind of worried how long will they be like that when I bring my baby home. I am not due until June. How did your pets react to your newborn?|||I had both a male and a female cat when my daughter was born. The male cat could care less when I brought her home. The female cat didnt care to much but was much more intrested. As my daughter got older the female cat loved being around my daughter. She can pull on her tail or whatever (even though we try hard to avoid it) and she wont touch her. My male cat is even pretty good with her. He has a temper but its like he knows shes still a baby. She's 10 months and were trying to teach her to be gentle with him. If she does hit or tug him he doesnt really get aggressive with her, although he's given her a smack once or twice.|||My cat came over, sniffed my son's head and walked away. He wasn't interested, lol





He acts jealous sometimes and by that I mean that while I'm feeding my son, my cat will come and sit at my feet and meow over and over but that's about it. No other weird behavior or anything.





My cat is pretty laid back though. As long as he has his food, he doesn't really care what else is going on, lol|||Same thing happened to us! My brought brought over her little jack russel puppy, and our cat(female) went crazy! We're also expecting our second child, and made the decision to give our cat to one of our friends. I felt very bad, and selfish. But I'm more concerned over the well being of my child, plus I didn't want the cat in the baby things, cat hair on the baby's clothes, etc. They say to bring home one of the babies hats from the hospital home before you bring in the baby, so the cats can smell it.|||my dog was very freindly and curious bout my newborn brother and hes a chihuhia (they are not that friendly to new ppl) and by curious i been he always sniffed him =]|||no havent got any,but my brother has a cat and when she first seen her she was purring like mad and kept going around my feet|||Bambam, our lab mix, adjusted quite well. She used to be the baby of our family until Noah came through the door. Now, she's "just the dog". OK, not really...she still gets tons of attention but she's no longer first in line. She loves Noah and has always been on her best behavior w/ him. She does get a little "jumpy" when she's excited and we have to remind her that Noah's in the room. She either calms down or we put her outside.|||When I came home I came home with twins I have 2 male cats the one that was fixed came in and started acting as if he was hunting he was breathing weird and almost acting as if he was stalking one of the babies which was the little girl not the boy. I freaked and had to just keep him away eventually I would let him come and sit beside me when I would feed the baby to let him kinda see and so he wouldn't feel jealous he seemed very nervous but interested over time and constant watch he grew to be his normal self. When I was pregnant especially in the last weeks he followed me everywhere and had to even lay on my stomach to make him happy it was odd but animals sense things and I think he was trying to tell me the babies were coming early and they did. He loves the babies and is his normal self again but never leave your pet alone with the baby no matter how much you trust them they are still animals and your babies safety is first. Good Luck!!!|||My cat (female, spayed, 12 years old) has never gotten along with other pets on the rare occasions when she has met them. Hissing, batting, hiding, etc. When we brought my son home, she simply didn't want anything to do with him. When we were with the baby, the cat would just go into the other room. Unfortunately that means that we saw a lot less of her.





The baby is 7 months old now and finally the cat has started coming around him every once in a while. Always very cautiously, and usually walks away after he reaches for her. The baby is very interested in the cat, but not so much vice versa.





I consider myself lucky. I know every animal is different--some are hostile to a new little one and some are so affectionate that they're snuggling up to the baby a little TOO much. I've heard stories that run the gamut.|||we have two cats. one wont even acknowledge jacob is alive and will attempt to sit on my knee when im feeding jacob. the other is very maternal about him. hid under the futon in spare room for a wek when he came home but would always come out when he cried to let us know jacob wanted us! still does this, and if he is put down next to her she will nuzzle his head to try and comfort him.


our cats are quite old, you do have to watch out for younger ones trying to sleep on a baby in its cot. its because babies are warm. but its not the problem some people would have you believe. when i was a baby our cat patches spent most of her time trying to get in my pram but i'm still here!|||The dogs sniffed him and walked away. They had no interest in being in the same room with a screaming baby. LOL





Before we brought our son home we allowed the dogs into his room to check things out. Then we started to block it off. For the first year they did not chew on anything. Then after time they started to chew on his toys.





Now when my son 2 1/2 cries or gets upset the dogs come running to lick his face and comfort him. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he loves to give them treats.|||Well at the time I had four dogs and we had four completely different reactions.





My female beagle ignored my daughter completely. Eventually thought she became somewhat interested and let my daughter pet her and play with her.





My male beagle ignored her and still does for the most part. When she was a newborn he would sometimes tell me if my daughter was crying in her crib.





My mini dashie was very jealous. Up until that time he was the baby of the family. He would chew on her rattles and he would pee on her blankets, clothes etc. It took many months before he accepted her. Now he pretty much ignores her, but he is gentle when she tries to pet him. We had to really reassure him that he was still special to us.





My black lab, Lulu, from the very beginning was in love with my daughter. Lulu tried to lick and sniff her all the time. Now that my daughter is 19 months old they are good playmates. And my lab is very, very tolerate of my daughter, even when my daughter tries to pull her tail.





So I guess you really will not know how they will respond until you bring the baby home. Most likely any bad behavior will eventually end. Just reassure your cats that everything will be O.K. You also might want to separate them a bit from the baby until they adapt to the situation. We had to keep our mini dashie in a separate room for much of the time for the first few weeks.|||we had a puppy for about a year before I got pregnant and so the puppy was the "baby" in the home. We let the puppy go into the nursery with us as we were getting things ready, and then when I had the baby I had my soon to be hubby take a blanket the baby was wrapped in home with him to let cuddles smell the baby. we also watched my neice every now and then so cuddles would get used to the sounds and (crying)noises a baby makes..the adjustment was pretty fast and easy. now cuddles is so protective of the baby.


just my experience


(cuddles is a toy poodle)|||My neutered male cat showed a bit of interest, sniffed around some, but then acted and still does act like he could care less. My spayed female cat wanted absolutely nothing to do with the new addition of the family. Still doesn't. She will not be in the same room as him. My two year old chihuahua on the other hand thinks my son is her son. LOL. She loves him to death, sleeps in his room at night, naps with him during the day, plays with him....it's adorable. She even condoles the ear, fur and tail pulling. We try to teach our son how to 'TaTa' the puppy by patting our pup softly. He is starting to get the idea! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment