Friday, September 16, 2011

What reasons do pet owners have, not to spay/neuter their pets?

All the 5 pets I've owned (2 dogs and 3 cats) were adopted, never have I bought a pet from a breeder. And as much as I love puppys and kittens. (Only 3 were given to me as pups) I don't want unwanted pets in my home.|||I bought a Rottweiler from a breeder, she was not show quality and I had to have her fixed per contract I paid not much more than I would have in a shelter.


There is no reason to not to spay or nueter unless you own a purebred that is a registered grand champion, that exibits good personality/temprement traits as well as the perfection of that breeds standard and it intended to pass on those bloodlines through a responcible breeding program (NOT A PUPPY MILL ENVIROMENT )





Otherwise to prevent the millions of unwanted pets as well as agression, heats, and various health problems like pyometriosis, breast cancer in the bitches of some breeds and temprament in the male animals like tom cats and fighting, abcesses, spraying, etc.|||All my pets are spayed/neutered.





I would think most people don't spay and neuter there pets because they can't afford it or don't see the importance behind it, or they want to experiance kittens/puppies being born.





Thats my guess!





I too wonder the answer to this question!!!|||they want to breed or don't care or think they will make money on selling the animals but i don't know|||I have 3 unaltered animals





1 dog due to age


1 dog due to health issues and her tolerance to anesthesia


1 rabbit because he previous owners let her get almost 2x her normal weight and I have to get some of it off before I take her in.





When my female dog goes into her she is under 24/7 supervision she sleeps in her crate and my unaltered male sleeps in his crate. She is only taken out on a leash never let to roam around the yard or the sidewalk off leash. I do not want a litter of puppies anytime soon lol.|||A lot of people say its because of money - but that is CRAP - if you dont have money DONT GET A PET.. or at least get one that is already fixed OR keep the pet inside...





All my 6 kitties were either adopted(1), left here by previous home owners (2) or were caught totally wild and tamed and neutered (3).





we live in the country.|||Some think their pets will be better pets overall if they have had a litter-not true. Some don't realize the cost involved. Some think it is cruel, some don't care, some think they can make a few $$$ off a litter.|||I've heard some reasons but there are only a very few that are good ones - generally that the risk of surgery is too high for health reasons.





- I don't want to cut off his balls, he won't be a real man anymore


- I wouldn't want someone to do it to ME/it's cruel


- I can't afford it


- I want my kids to experience puppies/kittens/etc


- I want her to experience the joys of motherhood


- My dog and my friends dog would have such cute puppies!





No way. No. I've come across a couple of people who say they don't "believe in" fixing their pets and I don't understand why not. Especially since my current pet of choice is a rabbit, and though he's a boy and thus can't get uterine cancer, female rabbits have such a hugely high chance of developing it if they aren't spayed... not to mention the usual reason of the millions of unwanted dogs, cats, rabbits, and other furry and not-so-furry animals. As for affording it, I'm trying to make sure I always have at least NZ$200 spare in the bank just in case for vet's fees or anything else that comes up. My bunny is nearly five months old, and he should live to be over ten. If he couldn't because I didn't have the money to treat him when he was hurt or ill I would be so angry with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment